On January 13, 2021, the Virtual Gathering on ‘Cultural managers, their organizations, and their networks in times of crisis’ took place as a Zoom conference with 127 registered participants from 24 countries. From 2 pm to 8 pm (CET) cultural managers and scholars intensively discussed the impact of the turbulent and troubling past year on the cultural sector and especially on international exchange as well as international cultural projects. The interactive event with a total of six panels on e.g. intercultural exchange, digitization, racial inequities, and networks concluded with a Ph.D. colloquium in which five doctoral students from the UK, Ireland, Germany and Nigeria presented their current research in an elevator pitch and received feedback from a jury of experts among them Milena Dragisevic Sesic from the University of the Arts, Belgrade and David Teevan from UCD. To improve networking among participants and the sharing of information on projects, a padelt https://padlet.com/astridthews/wo8bgob7ur76wz3q was created and intensively used.
Thanks to all student helpers at the University of Michigan and Heilbronn University as well as to all participants and presenters for making this such an interactive, insightful, and inspiring event. Hope you stay connected with the BIE Network!
You can find more information about the speakers in the category ‘Recent Gatherings’
- Thank you for giving us the opportunity to organize this dialogue with young cultural managers/researchers from across the world, it was a great platform to generate this exchange. It was my first experience in a reunion of the BIE network, which I found very interesting and particularly appreciated it was very diverse in terms of the regions represented across the programme. Look forward to any future activities coming up from the BIE network, it has been my pleasure to see what you are able to do.
– Cristina Peregrina, Mexico
- I am so glad to now know of BIE, and I look forward to future events/possibilities.
– Leah Hamilton, USA
- The day has been fascinating and really interesting – thanks so much!
– Avril Joffe, South Africa
- Thank you for organizing. The presentations and discussions were very interesting and thought provoking. I’m looking forward to the next edition.
– Susan Binwie, Nigeria
- Thank you for hosting such an interesting gathering. I really enjoyed it.
– Danielle Lynch, Ireland
- I want to thank you for the colorful and multi-perspective exchange at the BIE Virtual Gathering! It was really great to have (for once) such diverse voices in the discourse.
– Lisa Lehnen, Germany
Conference chaired by: Prof. Dr. Raphaela Henze MBA, Heilbronn University and students of the masters programme Economics, Culture, Leisure and Sports Management.
Scientific Committee: Dr. Victoria Durrer, University College Dublin, Dr. Karsten Xuereb, University of Malta, Dr. Antonio C. Cuyler, Florida State University, Prof. Dr. Raphaela Henze MBA, Heilbronn University, Federico Escribal, National University of the Arts Buenos Aires, Dr. Zainab Musa, University of Maiduguri